Saturday, September 3, 2011

Downsizing: Year One

To say this past year has been tough, would be an understatement. What will happen tomorrow, next week, next month, its hard to say. Still, I am humbled, not by our circumstances, but the people in my life.

My two girls, knowing their friends are shopping for school clothes and supplies, instead, search the cabinets for folders and notebooks, pencils and markers. There is not a solitary mention of 'new' clothes from either one. Instead, they ask us to spend our TIME with them playing cards.

We have friends showing up to cook us amazing meals. A daughter who brings cardboard boxes filled with food or just cardboard boxes for moving. And a son who buys groceries ~ every single week ~ with his first ever paychecks.

We spent the summer bonding over 30 years worth of memories, as we cleaned up the house to prepare for the inevitable move, if things don't improve. 100's of resumes and dozens of job interviews, we have thinned out our clutter, but the magic 'job' to save us is still hovering somewhere over the horizon.

"Never take a person's dignity: it is worth everything to them, and nothing to you." — Frank X Barron

I have learned that while I always considered myself a generous, considerate person, I could have done much more. I have also learned that some people I considered thoughtful and generous, are not.

Mostly, I have learned people like to judge others with little regard to actual facts and that it really does not matter. The people in your life who care about you, will always be there when you need them, and the others don't matter, anyway.

· · Share · Delete

    • Joanne Otto Praying for you and your family Mary. I'm sorry you are going through difficult times, sounds like you have raised wonderful, respectful, generous children, that is worth more than any amount of money.
      16 hours ago · Reply
    • Maureen A James Oh No!! I understand all this!!! I am soo Sorry!! This is the stuff I live for.. Mari in Colorado...This is the saddest stuff in the World..And this iIS what needs to change. All of it!!!
      37 minutes ago · Reply

No comments:

Post a Comment